Cherries- Feasting At Home Blog
When you think of cherries, what comes to mind? If it’s an almost neon red maraschino cherry instead of the luscious, deep red fresh fruit, you’re probably not alone. Cherries can sometimes get overlooked in the fruit section of the grocery store because they’re usually a little pricier than other fruit and many people opt for fresh berries instead. However skipping this fruit is a bad decision because it’s full of nutrients that your body needs. Some of the health benefits of cherries are:
1. They have strong anti-inflammatory properties. It doesn’t matter if you’re eating cherries by the handful or drinking tart cherry juice, consuming this fruit has been shown to help reduce inflammation. Regularly consuming cherries helps relieve pains associated with arthritis and reduce swelling in muscles after hard workouts, reducing the amount of recovery time needed.
2. They are high in fiber. One cup of cherries contains a solid 2.9 grams of fiber. Fiber is essential to helping keep our bodies healthy and reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Fiber also helps keep you feeling fuller for longer, making cherries a good addition to your diet if you’re trying to lose weight.
3. They help you get to sleep. Melatonin has long been known to have powerful sleep-inducing benefits, making it a great natural remedy for those who are trying to get more sleep. Cherries contain melatonin, so eating a cup of them before bed can help ease feelings of insomnia and contribute to a better night’s rest.
4. They’re full of antioxidants. Cherries get their rich red coloring from copious amounts of anthocyanin, which is a type of antioxidant. The peel that surrounds the pulp of cherries is full of this antioxidant, and can help slow the aging process and keep you looking and feeling vibrant and young.
5. They help protect your body from cancer. Anthocyanin isn’t the only antioxidant that’s present in cherries; cyaniding is as well. This antioxidant has been shown to help defuse free radicals in the body and defend your body against cancerous cells.
Those bright, candy-red cherries may be delicious, but cherries in their natural form are equally as delicious and have an extensive list of health benefits that make them an essential part of every diet. Next time you’re at the grocery store pick up a bag of cherries, they’ll be worth the extra few dollars you’ll spend.
Kelsey is the editor in chief for www.findananny.net/. She loves to write article and ideas that parents & nannies would be interested in hearing. She helps society on giving information about nannies through nanny services. She is a professional writer & loves writing on anything.